Tax tips for students

Canada’s deadline to file individual income tax and benefit returns is April 30, 2014. 
April is a busy time for students with final exams, papers and planning summer jobs and school. Avoid adding to your workload and stress level by filing your tax return early, and by taking advantage of the secure online services offered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). With the many online help tools, including easy-to-follow videos that are accessible 24/7, filing your tax return has never been easier.
Even if you haven't worked in the past year, you still need to file a return to ensure that you receive payments like a refund or quarterly GST/HST credit. 
If you are studying as an international student, you may have to file taxes as well. First determine your residency status at You may owe taxes to the Canadian government, and may qualify for GST/HST credit payments. If you are an international student, your individual income tax and benefit return is generally due on April 30 and you have to send it to the CRA’s International Tax Services Office. If you have questions, call CRA’s International tax and non-resident enquiries line at 1-855-284-5942.
The CRA has dedicated part of its website to students and the specific tax scenarios that may affect them. Go to to find everything you need to know about your tax return, including how to claim tuition, education, and textbook amounts, and moving expenses.
If you need help filing your return, have a modest income, and a simple tax situation, contact the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, which runs volunteer tax clinics across the country. To find a volunteer tax preparation clinic, go to
Leave a comment